72 replies to this topic

#1 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 05:04 PM

Croce's book on George Balanchine has a release date of April 1, 2004.

ISBN: 0374299889 - Farrar, Straus and Giroux

(I can't wait!)

#2 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 05:10 PM

Wow, this is exciting news. After waiting all these years, though, I'd feel a little better if the publication date were not April 1. :blushing:

#3 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 05:33 PM

There are supposed to be several books on Balanchine released to coincide with his centennial. And I'm going to gobble them all up :blushing:

#4 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 05:51 PM

Reminds me of the time some wag wrote a press release announcing an autobiography by J.D. Salinger with an introduction by Thomas Pynchon. Release date: April 1! :dry:

#5 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 06:21 PM

Mmmm, I can't see Arlene Croce doing an April Fools' joke. And she has been working on this book for a long time. But you never know....

#6 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 10:59 PM

I think it's probably for real, Dale. Balanchine was never a recluse like Salinger, and to have an intro to his autobiography by the nearly-as-reclusive Pynchon was the tip with the April Fools' joke.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:45 PM

That's funny, Mel. The only thing missing would be an announcement that Salinger and Pynchon would be appearing jointly on Oprah to publicize the book. :wink:

Farrar Straus and not Knopf?

#8 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:50 PM

Yes, it's Farrar Strauss (books often change publishers when editors leave, etc.) It could be that the publisher intends for the book to be on the spring 2004 list, rather than a set in stone release date and may be subject to change.

#9 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:34 PM

Croce's book, Ballet and Balanchine, is now scheduled to be published in October.

#10 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:52 PM

It has a title! That's promising.

#11 Rachel Howard

Rachel Howard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for the news, Ari! Could you tell me the source for your information? Thanks again.

#12 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:29 AM

I got the info from the publisher, Farrar Straus & Giroux.

#13 Rachel Howard

Rachel Howard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:57 PM

Did you get it by speaking to someone at the company? I'm unable to find mention of the forthcoming book on the FSG website. Thanks.

#14 Herman Stevens

Herman Stevens

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 03:04 AM

It has a title! That's promising.

Exept that Ballet and Balanchine is not a very good title. For one I'd prefer Balanchine and Ballet. And what I'd really want is Balanchine: A Life, in which, obviously, the ballets would be treated extensively. The current title however would indicate a book which perpetuates the notion that Balanchine's life was nothing but making up steps.

#15 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:02 AM

Rachel, it was the absence of any mention of the book on the company's website that prompted me to take further action. :wink: I e-mailed the publisher and got a reply from one Sarah Almond in the editorial department.

Re the title: yes, it strikes me as flat, too. But to me it suggests that the scope of the book is wide-ranging: not just a study of Balanchine's creations but a look at his whole impact on, and relation to, ballet. One of the most exciting things about Croce's writing, after all, has always been her broad intellectual range. And we knew that it wasn't going to be a biography.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):