• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Casper

Casper

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:26 PM

Dear Friend of Dance:

I’m enclosing information about an entrancing ode to the revolutionary twentieth-century dance troupes known collectively as the BALLETS RUSSES, which was shown as part of this year’s Sundance Film Festival. BALLETS RUSSES opens on October 26 for an exclusive run at Film Forum via Zeitgeist Films with many more play dates to be announced.

Unearthing a treasure trove of archival footage, Emmy Award-winning filmmakers Dayna Goldfine and Dan Geller map the company’s Diaghilev-era beginnings in turn-of-the-century Paris – when artists such as Nijinsky, Balanchine, Picasso, Miro, Matisse, and Stravinsky united in an unparalleled collaboration – to its halcyon days of the 1930s and 40s, when the Ballets Russes toured America, astonishing audiences with never-before-seen artistry. Rare performances, home movies, letters and diaries are intercut with intimate anecdotal interviews with former Ballets Russes stars and bring to life the extraordinary journey of the company and the individuals who danced in it.

Variety calls BALLETS RUSSES “An ebullient journey! Enormously absorbing! Elegant and touching!”

In an effort to attract grassroots support for this marvelous film, Zeitgeist Films is enlisting the help of organizations such as yours to ‘get the word out’ via newsletter, Web site or distribution of postcards.

If you have a newsletter, we would appreciate an announcement of the opening of BALLETS RUSSES. Or if you have a Web site, we would encourage a link to www.BalletsRusses.com and/or a posting of the date of our theatrical release. Please feel free to check our Website (www.zeitgeistfilms.com) where a synopsis, a trailer and theatre information for BALLETS RUSSES are available. Please contact me if a link to your site is possible. We are also looking for distribution points for materials. If your organization would like postcards to distribute, to enclose in a mailing or just to have at your offices, please give me a call. We also have beautiful full-sized posters.

Group Sales information is also available by contacting me at the number below.

Thank you for your assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Casper de Boer
Zeitgeist Films Ltd.
247 Centre Street, 2nd floor
New York, NY 10013
212 274-1989 ext.13 tel
212 274-1644 fax
balletsrusses@casperdeboer.com
Check our Web site: www.zeitgeistfilms.com

Edited by Casper, 16 August 2005 - 06:52 PM.

#2 Gina Ness

Gina Ness

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:29 PM

Thank you so much for this post. I have been looking forward to this film ever since I was aware of the reunion held a few years ago. I can't wait to see it! I am just so excited and grateful that a record of this extraordinary company of artists has finally come to life! :yahoo:

P.S. I just went to the filmmaker's website and downloaded the press kit to see what was there. There are many photos of the dancers who were interviewed (including my teacher, Alan Howard) as they looked in their dancing days and recently, for the film, I assume. I just loved seeing what these fabulous dancers looked like in recent times...WOW...biographies, too! Lots of information...

#3 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:37 AM

Thank you for this news. This & the concurrent ABT run at City Center make a trip to NYC in late Oct/early Nov very worthwhile. It's on my calendar.

#4 gracey

gracey

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:52 PM

I don't see the trailer for this listed in the trailers section - have I missed it?

#5 Gina Ness

Gina Ness

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:56 PM

Hi gracey...I couldn't find it either...I think I'll check back in a few days and see if it is available then...Gina

#6 Casper

Casper

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:30 AM

You are right, the website is currently being updated.
The trailer will be up soon!

#7 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:24 AM

It's up! Click -->here!

What an exciting piece of footage this is, too!

#8 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,248 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:24 PM

I want the DVD now!

#9 Gina Ness

Gina Ness

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:04 PM

Me, too! :huh:

#10 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:11 PM

W-0-W !!! One of the last voices you hear is a elderly woman talking about the experience of dancing with the Ballet Russe: "I wouldn't have missed it for the life of me." Absolutely.

I hope it gets good distribution. We have a few theaters down here who might (might) try it. :huh:

#11 Gina Ness

Gina Ness

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:22 PM

The lovely woman towards the end of the trailer is Dame Alicia Markova (with the beautiful short, coifed silver hair)....

#12 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:58 AM

....and the ballerina with the long silver hair is Irina Baronova....

#13 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:53 AM

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! What a spectacular documentary this appears to be. The trailer is full of gems (Sleeping Beauty, Boutique Fantasque, Swan Lake, etc.). To think that the films whence come all those clips exist! I am positively foaming at the mouth right now.

#14 kurokevin

kurokevin

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 12:04 PM

Hello Everybody!

I attended Film Forum in New York City over the weekend and saw a preview for this film during the comming attractions. Immediatly, I ran home and checked the internet for all information I could find about this stunning looking film! What does everyone know about this film so far? From the looks of the trailer there is going to be a ton of old footage of them dancing?

There is also a new website online devoted solely to the film http://www.balletsrusses.com. I nerely teared up during the trailer while watching these remarkable artists and athletes resurface on screen- have they ever been topped??? I'm nerely foaming at the mouth with the prospect of being able to see this in just a few short weeks- Anyone planning on attending opening night in New York City???

Keep on Dancing,

Kevin

Editing to note: Kevin is an intern at Zeitgeist Films.

Edited by carbro, 06 October 2005 - 02:34 PM.

#15 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,248 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 02:16 PM

Welcome to Ballet Talk, Kevin!

We're all waiting for this one -- and the DVD -- with bated breath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):