This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Darcey Bussell to retire

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kate B

Kate B

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:56 AM

I hope the right place to post is here:

"Darcey Bussell, one of Covent Garden's biggest crowd-pullers and the most popular British ballerina since Margot Fonteyn, announced her retirement as principal dancer with the Royal Ballet yesterday."

The Daily Telegraph

I have always known this would happen sooner or later. I just hope I get the chance to see her perform again before she goes. She is, in my opinion, one of the most wonderful dancers I have ever seen.

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:22 AM

Her official retirement is June 2006, but she did say she'd remain as a Guest Artist, choosing her rep with care. There should be opportunities to see her dance beyond the current season.

#3 Kate B

Kate B

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:28 AM

I know, but knowing my luck (the last couple of times I have had tickets for performances she was supposed to be in she has been replaced at the last minute) I won't get a chance to!

#4 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:14 AM

Helene's point is important here. She's continuing through this season. After that, she's retiring as *principal* with the company and will be Principal Guest Artist - with few contractural obligations and a greater ability to have her own say in both rep and partners (who, at this stage, are increasingly also guest artists). It also gives her greater flexibility to guest elsewhere.

#5 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:08 AM

Helene's point is important here.  She's continuing through this season.  After that, she's retiring as *principal* with the company and will be Principal Guest Artist - with few contractural obligations and a greater ability to have her own say in both rep and partners (who, at this stage, are increasingly also guest artists).  It also gives her greater flexibility to guest elsewhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The whole time I saw Margot Fonteyn (from the late 60s well into the 70s) with the RB she danced under this kind of arrangement.

And I believe she started this well before I saw her, back in the early-mid 60s

This is not to quess how long Bussell will dance on this kind of basis but it could be one season or a couple of them

Richard

#6 Solor

Solor

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:33 PM

I think its great, very classy and cool that she chooses to retire at the top of her game! What a classy dame! Best wishes to her!

#7 Kate B

Kate B

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:10 AM

Well, I guess there's hope for me to see her again.

Solor, I like your point particularly. She is, as you say, a classy dame. :dunno:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):