#1 jjlon

jjlon

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:23 AM

webpage

Hello

My first post, hope it works.

Am interested in identifying these two dancers from the photographs.

I believe the photos were taken some time in the 1930s?

Regards and thanks for any help.

jjlon

#2 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:47 PM

Well, they look to me like Anton Dolin and Alicia Markova (she in Les Sylphides) - but I can't find the exact photos at the moment - maybe someone else can?

#3 jjlon

jjlon

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:15 PM

Hello Jane

Now that you have mentioned the names I think you are correct. The autographs are actually much clearer (though not easy for a novice like me and somewhat faded) than in the images I provided as these photos are framed and I had to scan them through the frame and glass - not the best way obviously.

Thanks again for your expert help.

Regards

#4 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:56 PM

Hello Jane

Now that you have mentioned the names I think you are correct. The autographs are actually much clearer (though not easy for a novice like me and somewhat faded) than in the images I provided as these photos are framed and I had to scan them through the frame and glass - not the best way obviously.

Names are correct and I believe that Dolin may be in the costume for Aucassin et Nicolette. I will check when I return home from my office.

#5 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:17 PM

Yes, most probably Dolin, and I think definitely Markova.
If one wants to preserve the autograph it is not really a good idea to frame a photo. The ink fades very rapidly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):