This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Sascha Radetsky Departs ABT/HNBand now back to ABT

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Haglund's

Haglund's

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:14 PM

Radetsky's departure is being reported in the LA Times online edition.

Sascha Radetsky is leaving ABT

Sascha Radetsky, who has been dancing with American Ballet Theatre for the last 13 years -- and as a soloist since 2003 -- is leaving after this weekend's performances at the Orange County Performing Arts Center. He will be joining the Dutch National Ballet.

Radetsky, 31, a native of Santa Cruz, also starred in the 2000 film "Center Stage" and became a darling of young fans by also appearing in pop singer Mandy Moore's music video "I Wanna Be With You" from the "Center Stage" soundtrack.

His last appearances with ABT will be in matinees today, when he dances the Rabbit role in Twyla Tharp's "Rabbit and Rogue," and Sunday, when he'll perform in both the Tharp piece and Harald Lander's "Etudes."

From a Times staff writer

Undoubtedly, we will also soon lose Abrera, as we lost Erica Cornejo when Molina was pushed aside.

Best of luck to Sascha. Hope to see him return some day.

#2 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:26 PM

I was saddened to hear this news a few months ago, and wondered what took so long for ABT or the press to announce it. But maybe Ms. Abrera will delay leaving ABT? Herman Cornejo lost both his sister and his wife to other companies, but he is still at ABT, and especially now, an important mainstay of their roster of superlative male dancers. So again, I am sorry to see Mr. Radetsky leave. Will he be a principal at DNB? (It is DNB, not NDT?)

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:40 PM

He's listed on their web site as a "first soloist" (which is their top rank).

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:05 AM

Wow, congratulations to him and to Dutch National Ballet, which also snagged PNB's Casey Herd.

I hope he has a wonderful time living in Europe and dancing with the company.

In English we've abbreviated the company as "DNB"; the company is named "Dutch National Ballet" in the English version of the official site. In Dutch the company name is "Het Nationale Ballet".

#5 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:14 AM

(It is DNB, not NDT?)

In English we've abbreviated the company as "DNB"; the company is named "Dutch National Ballet" in the English version of the official site. In Dutch the company name is "Het Nationale Ballet".

NDT = Nederlands Dans Theater/Netherlands Dance Theater, Jiri Kylian's company. Different animal altogether. :smilie_mondieu: I've seen Dutch National referred to here as "Het," which is literally unspecific, but it's such a cute nickname.

#6 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:41 AM

Well, seeing as "het" means "the" in Dutch, it leads to a peculiar redundancy to say "the The".

#7 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:47 AM

Well, seeing as "het" means "the" in Dutch, it leads to a peculiar redundancy to say "the The".

The La Brea Tar Pits = the the tar tar pits

Acronyms are always tricky. Before the breakup of "Ma Bell," the local iteration of the phone company was Pacific Northwest Bell, or PNB. They overlapped with Pacific Northwest Ballet, and I always used the acronym for the dance company rather than the phone, but I in the minority with that one.

And for me, DNB is the Dance Notation Bureau.

#8 nijinsky1979

nijinsky1979

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:13 AM

This is sad news for those of us who see ballet exclusively in the U.S. And I can't say I'm altogether surprised. Whoever is disappointed with this news might take heart because he will become a source of national pride internationally. Like I said about Sofiane Sylve leaving City Ballet, I'm glad I had the chance to see Radetsky dancing in New York.

#9 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:26 PM

The web site of the Dutch National Ballet notes that Sascha Radetsky has left the company and is returning to the United States, though it doesn't say where to.

I guess that being a principal dancer is nice, but living with your wife is nicer.

http://www.het-natio...?sm=news_latest

#10 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:42 AM

The web site of the Dutch National Ballet notes that Sascha Radetsky has left the company and is returning to the United States, though it doesn't say where to.

I was looking at the DNB site recently and noticed that Radetsky photo no longer appeared in the principal dancer section. I wondered what happened. So this notice makes sense.

Certainly I hope he winds up in a good position, hopefully back here in the US. Even back at ABT, I think he has both the talent and the drive to rise through the
men's talent pool. I do think their are opportunities there as Bocca has retired and Malakhov appears to have left , Carreno (while dancing very well) is in his 40s
and Corella is focusing so much on his new company. So my own hope would be that he would return to ABT, not that I have any information at all about his future plans.

#11 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:41 AM

Maybe he will work with Twyla Tharp on the new musical she is developing re Frank Sinatra's music (reported on recently in the NY Times).

#12 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

Just remember, "maybe" is one of the larger words in the English language. MAYBE he could get a broker's license and fill a void on Wall Street left by someone who quit the field.

#13 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:14 AM

Is there a separate note on the site that says Radetsky is returning to the US? The "USA" on the list of dancers who have left the company is the country where a person is a citizen, not his or her destination.

#14 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:23 AM

Just remember, "maybe" is one of the larger words in the English language. MAYBE he could get a broker's license and fill a void on Wall Street left by someone who quit the field.

It's just a hypothesis, based on the fact that in the past Twyla has relied heavily on ABT talent in her broadway bound shows (Movin Out w. John Selya and Ashley Tuttle).

#15 SanderO

SanderO

Silver Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

Come back to the ABT Sasha... and perhaps we can see more of Stella too???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):