This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

New Nureyev Film

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 toeprints

toeprints

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:05 PM

Is anyone aware of a new film about Rudolf Nureyev, titled "Nureyev?"

According to an article on the Canadian TV website, regarding the show "So You Think You Can Dance Canada," Nico Archambault, last December's winner, has recently been cast "as the iconic ballet dancer Rudolf Nureyev in "Nureyev" - the upcoming dance drama about the dancer's legacy."

I googled Nico and discovered that he is a contemporary, hip-hop dancer; age 24, with multiple facial piercings and a mini-mohawk. Not exactly the type I would expect to portray Rudolf!

I don't know who I would like to see in a film about Nureyev - the ones I had previously thought of are either retired or too old now.

Who do you think could do justice in a portrayal of Rudolf?

#2 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

Is anyone aware of a new film about Rudolf Nureyev, titled "Nureyev?"

According to an article on the Canadian TV website, regarding the show "So You Think You Can Dance Canada," Nico Archambault, last December's winner, has recently been cast "as the iconic ballet dancer Rudolf Nureyev in "Nureyev" - the upcoming dance drama about the dancer's legacy."

This must be the film....

#3 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:39 PM

This must be the film....

Nureyev is a one-hour dance drama / mock documentary exploring Rudolph Nureyev's legacy. The film is a unique film dramatization about Nureyev's life story created primarily though dance. The story begins with the young Nureyev and continues through his life, dramatizing his growing artistry through relationships, his brush with death, and ultimately ending with his death at 55 years old. This film is an amalgamation of dance storytelling sequences woven with fictitious interviews, and existing documentary footage.

Sounds like a lot to cover in an hour.

#4 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

A mock documentary? Is it supposed to be a comedy?

#5 toeprints

toeprints

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:07 PM

Thank you for the information. It sounds exhausting, perphaps interesting, but odd.

#6 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:08 PM

Sounds very camp.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

I tend to agree with Amy. With regard to toeprints' question:

Who do you think could do justice in a portrayal of Rudolf?

It's an even tougher casting job than Nijinsky, I think.

Thanks for telling us about the film, toeprints. It sounds as if it will air in Canada first, so I hope our Canadian readers tell us about it.

(Just curious, toeprints - which dancers from the past did you have in mind?)

#8 toeprints

toeprints

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

dirac,

I could never envision just one person portraying Rudolf, but a combination of a few dancers. My amalgam would consist of Charles Jude, Farouk Ruzimatov, Konstantin Zalinsky, Patrick Armand, and Irek Mukhamedov. They all possess certain traits and abilities that remind me of Rudolf. Charles and Konstantin are the only two dancers, other than Rudolf (of course), who held my attention enough that I didn't notice the scenery.

I haven't been able to travel as much as before, so I am not sure who among the current dancers I would include in my mix.

Are you able to think of anyone? It really does seem to be an impossibility, doesn't it.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:52 PM

You couldn’t really hope for a perfect match, just one that is close enough. Maybe Nicolas Le Riche, whose performances I know only from video.

#10 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:30 AM

First a film about Fonteyn and now one about Nureyev, I find this very depressing.

#11 Paquita

Paquita

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

I've seen Nico on TV and he is certainly talented but not a ballet-type at all in his dancing.
I did see a short clip on the news and it shows him dancing with NBoC's Greta Hodgkinson.
Not really sure what to make of it...

#12 toeprints

toeprints

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

There has been a few articles in "Google News" about Nico learning ballet during the last few months! He claims that he doesn't have the knees for ballet (?). Oh well, perhaps this special will be a good idea after all and bring a younger audience into the world of ballet, and they will be curious about this phenomenon called "Nureyev."

#13 toeprints

toeprints

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

The film will be on Canadian tv on December 1, 2009, at 9 P.M., on the Canadian Bravo channel. No report about the U.S. Bravo airing the film. I hope some of the Canadian members will give us a critique.

#14 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

The Bravo site describes the film this way.

"Nureyev" is a dance drama created especially for television exploring the life of the great Russian dancer, Rudolph Nureyev who defected to the West in 1961. Integrating original choreography created for the screen, dramatic scenes and archival footage, the film presents a multi-faceted portrait of one of the seminal performing arts figures of our time.

http://www.bravo.ca/...?date=12-1-2009

#15 toeprints

toeprints

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:46 PM

Thank you for that info. I am curious about the film, although I still cannot fathom a non-ballet person portraying Rudi. I guess I really need to keep an open mind!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):