Esmeralda

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 John-Michael

John-Michael

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 03:49 PM

Can anyone tell me if ESMERALDA is still danced in Russia? If so, is the choeropgraphy used by Vaganova and not by Petipa (as in an excerpt I saw a regional ballet company do)? Ever since I was a child and used to look at lithographs from the ballet ESMERALDA has had a strange fascination for me.

#2 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 05:38 PM

I think that Esmeralda, as it was performed in the old Soviet Union was preserved because of the "Revolutionary" sentiments contained in Notre Dame de Paris. Every age which inherited that work seemed to work its own changes in it, and the reign of Napoleon III was no good for it at all! (Remember, he constructed the Champs Elysée to be so wide it couldn't be barricaded!) I'd say the chances of any original Perrot remaining in any surviving production is about like what remains of Dauberval in today's La Fille Mal Gardée.

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 09:30 AM

The Diana and Acteon pas de deux, which often pops up on galas and highlights programs, is credited to Vaganova.

There's an extended excerpt -- I'd always assumed it was by Petipa and not Perrot, but I don't know that :) -- danced by the Kirov. It's a pas de deux (with tambourine!) and a small corps. It was one of Asylmuratova's specialties and it is on video. I THINK it's on "The Kirov Ballet in London" but I wait to stand corrected -- this is from memory. There's also a performance by Komleva (not as wondrous, in my eyes) on another Kirov video, one of the many collections of excerpts from Kirov Ballets -- I'm sure someone reading this will remember which one.

#4 John-Michael

John-Michael

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll impart a little of my own. I think that the excerpt you saw on the video is the same one that New Jersey ballet performs from time to time. In the program the choreography was credited to Vaganova after Petipa so I doubt that either Perrot or Petipa had much to do with it. I found the music and choreography, if not great, very pretty and it would be nice to see more.

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 02:44 PM

Thank you for that, John-Michael. I may be wrong, but I think Vaganova only did the Diana and Acteon, and that the ensemble -- pas de deux and a back up group :) -- is much older. The Diana and Acteon has a 20th century look about it, to me, while the pas de deux and ensemble look late 19th.

#6 John-Michael

John-Michael

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 04:26 PM

Maybe it would be a lot easier (and honest!) if programs credit choreography of dubious authenticity "traditional." I saw this done in a dance concert with LE CORSAIRE and it's just as good as the "after ..."

#7 tempusfugit

tempusfugit

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 July 2002 - 12:49 PM

John-Michael, I saw Asylmuratova dance Esmeralda (pas de six, I think it is?) twice. Alexandra does not exaggerate in calling it "wondrous". one of her very best parts, which is saying a lot. if you can find the video I believe you'd be stunned. she certainly does a lot for a tambourine....

#8 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 08:03 AM

hadn't seen this before, so pardon the lateness. (probably jeannie hasn't seen it either, or she'd have added to the info. here.) when i was in st.petersburg in 1995 the maly theater ballet then renamed mussorgsky theater, was still doing an ESMERALDA (full-evening prod. in 2 acts), i think the staging's provenance came via tatiana vecheslova, once a famous esmeralda herself, who helped gusev stage this version; probably in '95 the prod. had been tinkered w/ by boyarchikov, the maly theater's ballet master. both the 'diana and acteon' and the famous 'pas de six,' w/ the tambourine, were there, tho' any number of details read about from the Perrot era were not. (that production led me to realize that music we'd associated w/ LA BAYADERE was in fact formerly from ESMERALDA - i refer here the music k.sergeyev's BAYADERE uses for the nikiya/slave duet in the rajah's palace and then used by makarova for the candle dance in her BAYADERE's last act. and to be sure now the kirov notes for the recent BAYADERE revival claim that this musical selection is indeed music from ESMERALDA and thus by pugni.)
jeannie once noted that the 'diana and acteon' number was one that had precedent in another petipa ballet. (was is ROI CANDAUL?) in any case the 'diana and acteon' we see nowadays, often given as a highlight on gala programs, is the work vaganova after godknowswho; the PAS DE SIX, for La Esmeralda, Gringoire, and a quartet of tambourine-tinkling women, is still credited nowadays as petipa's work, tho' likely reworked by any number of further hands. both these are variously recorded on videotape. alas there is no commercial recording of the maly theater's more nearly complete production.
there are btw at least 2 CD recordings of the score. one that i have is 'ESMERALDA, music from the ballet by Cesare Pugni in a 'jewels of russian ballet series' played by the odessa symphony orcherstra of opera and ballet. it's one disk. ADRO RECORDS, 1999 and does not include the music for 'diana and acteon' or for that matter the 'slave/nikiya' number, so perhaps this latter is pugni music originally meant for a diff. pugni ballet.
recently i learned there was yet another recording of this music, but also only in a 1-disk version and w/the same number of tracks, some 23 scenes all told.

#9 John-Michael

John-Michael

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 06:00 PM

Do you know anywhere that I can get the ESMERALDA CD? I tried Amazon but received an e-mail after I placed my order saying that it was "unavailable." I haven't heard much Pugni but Pas de Quatre and the so-called Fascination pas de deux are quite lovely and leave me wanting to hear more.

#10 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 07:06 PM

somewhere in my none-too-organized papers is a copy of info. about the other ESMERALDA CD. i didn't pay much attention once i realized it didn't have any additional tracks to those on my odessa disk.
i THINK the other was a slovak orchestra recording.
if i find the paper w/ the full credits i'll post it.
i bought my CD about a year or so ago. if i find an additional copies on my travels i'll post it here. i tend automatically to look in the adam, pugni, minkus, drigo bins of any CD selections i come across. often alas if there is a tab for any of these composers it's empty. but i keep looking.

#11 Roma

Roma

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 05:04 AM

the oddessa recording can be bought at www.dancebooks.co.uk

#12 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 04:46 PM

Also here--I like this site because they usually list tracks, and so if you are looking for a particular variation you know it is included before you buy the CD---mailorder surprises are not pleasant...

www.christopherseminars.com

Juliet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):